Thursday, May 3, 2012

Exquirere Bonum Ipsum

"Exquirere Bonum Ipsum" is Latin phrase. I very much like it. I use it as the signature at the end of my e-mails and the like.

When translated by me (which means it may not be right), it reads "Inquire Stringently After Goodness Itself." It could also be translated as "Seek The Good." For some reason I like the first one better.

I like language in general; it is what makes us humans. I like even more when a language has a word like "Exquirere," requiring several difficult words to translate. I find it tells a person a lot about a language when they have one word that encapsulates many words from another language. Another example is mamihlapinatapai, which can be translated as "a look shared by two people, each wishing that the other will offer something that they both desire but are unwilling to suggest or offer themselves." What a mouthful!

Nowadays because of globalization, other languages tend to pick up these succinct words that are used in other languages and are readily understood. Although this is my trade, teaching English as a Second Language, it is a sad thing to see a language disappear. It would be strange for the entire world to speak one single language.

=JSR=
~exquirere.bonum.ipsum~

No comments:

Post a Comment